Location: Colorado Photographic Arts Center
Room: CPAC Gallery - Belmar
Feb 21, 2013 (one day)
Meets 6:00 PM-8:30 PM
Level: All Levels
(Member Discount Available)
Status: This program is completed
Portfolio reviews are an important part of any photographer’s development as an artist. These informal reviews are open to all student levels and are an excellent chance to present your work in a positive environment, gain confidence, and receive constructive feedback on ways to move ahead with your project. Each month, Gallery Director Rupert Jenkins and an educator or curator from the photo community will lead discussion and critiques of six photographers’ work. Reviews last approximately 20 mins each.
To show your work, RSVP to Sherea@cpacphoto.org or call 303-837-1341 to make a reservation.
“CPAC’s monthly portfolio reviews are an excellent opportunity to get your work in front of Denver’s best photographers in an open, informal setting that will bring you into a deeper relationship with not only with your own work, but with the work and process of the other participating artists as well. Non-photographers are welcome to watch and learn alongside the portfolio review participants.” Ken Hamel, Denverarts.org, March 2012
- February's guest reviewer is Micah Messenheimer
Instructor -- Rupert Jenkins
RUPERT JENKINS is an arts professional, curator, and writer/editor specializing in photography who has lived in Denver since August 2005. He is a former Chair and current Executive Director of CPAC. His most recent curatorial projects are Situating Robert Adams (November 2011 for CPAC), Warhol in Colorado (co-curator/contributing catalog editor, January 2011 for the University of Denver’s Myhren Gallery), and Double Diptych (March 2011 for Vertigo Art Space, Denver). Before moving to Denver, Jenkins directed the San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery (1995-2005), and was Associate Director of San Francisco Camerawork (1989-1995). While in those positions he curated, juried, wrote on, and organized numerous exhibitions of photography and other media.
Instructor -- Micah Messenheimer
Micah Messenheimer is curatorial assistant in the department of photography at the Denver Art Museum. Prior to beginning at the museum in 2010, he worked as a digital imaging specialist at the University of Denver Visual Media Center and assisted with archival inventorying and research of the Vittorio Sella photographic collection at the American Alpine Club Library. He holds an MA in art history and museum studies from DU, an MFA in visual art from San Francisco State University, and a BFA in photography from Ball State University. His essay, "On Entropology: The Vivid Waters of David Maisel and Robert Smithson," was recently published in the Petrie Institute of Western American Art publication Elevating Western American Art.
- The review will take place in the CPAC Gallery on the last Thursday* (some exceptions may apply) each month. Please arrive by 6pm and bring with you 10-20 images. Prints are preferred, and they can be working or final.
- We will allot approximately 20 minutes per person and the review is limited to 6 participants. The order of the presentation will be decided the night of the event.
- The event is open to anyone wishing to observe and contribute to the discussion. Please plan to stay for the entire event and contribute as well.
- The portfolio review takes place each month on the last Thursday* (some exceptions may apply, please be mindful of the date advertised).
- You must be a current CPAC member or pay $10 in advance to confirm your participation.